Back in the day

Do you want to get the answers to any police related questions ? 

Do you have any  old stories or pictures you wish to share?

please email the details to the web site administrator via the link below.

You never know we might be able to help solve the conundrum ! 

If you have any information concerning anything on this page please click the link below.

Charity football event 

I can remember this event happening at Ruskin Drive, I didn't take part, was it the early 1990's?. Lost of 'suspects' in these photographs 

Marie's Archive 

Marie Curran has unearthed some photographs from a year or two ago!

Can you see anyone you know in them? 

Published in the local newspaper November 1977.

(sorry about the quality of the photograph , it was too big to scan! ) 

Sorry about the quality, unfortunately it is a photograph of a very delicate press press cutting  from an event in 1987 when the local police visited St Helens Town Hall.

Photos from the past 

This series of six photographs are posted by kind permission of Dennis Glynn. 

Photo one.

 Taken by our ilustrious secretary JR  on 13th October 1978 ( a month before I joined the job!) 

The photograph shows Bill McKain and Howard Williams both sadly no longer with us.

Dennis Glyn is on the extreme right can you name the other two? 

Photo two. 

A fine crickets team! Who are they? 

Photograph three.

Sadly a number of the people in this photograph are no longer with us.

JR's description states, two are civvies and one was the father of one of our members. also on this photo is the gentleman who is reputed to haunt the toilet at the police Club.

Who are they? When was it taken? 

From JR

back row Terry Price, not known, Benji Davies, Kearns (first name not know thought to have gone to Lancs County)

centre row Max Woosey, Jim Kenny, Brian Ward, not known, Billy McKain, Dave Smith

front row Frank Ward, Dennis Glynn, Jack Watson, not known, George Hale   

Photograph four.

I know its not a football team due to the shape of the ball! 

Who are they? When and what was the occasion? 

Photograph five.

A fine St Helens vehicle registration number.

Who, when and where? 

Photograph six.
An athletic sevens team. Who,when and where? 


If you can name any of these officers please email via the link below and quote 'photos from the past' along with the photograph number 

Sporting Bobbies

Bill Shepherd has dug out these photographs of Police sports teams. they are posted alongside Bills writing on the reverse of the photographs show the teams members names, many of whom are sadly no longer with us.

I must apologise for the quality of the reproduction of the photographs. 


Photographs from Alan's Album  

Alan Abbott has been sorting through some of his photographs. Names are missing can you help ? 

Merseyside's Oldest nick 

The ACC house and the Police Station 

The yard where once Police Horses lived

The Police Station with the worn words "POLICE STATION" above the front door. 

MerPol station formerly County Police Office, Prescot has been mothballed. It is MerPol oldest nick. 

The place has considerable history. In 1839 when John Woodford became Lancashire Chief Constable he posted Edward 

Willis, one of his two ACC, to Prescot. Effectively making Prescot Headquarters for South Lancashire. 

John went on to be the 2nd HMIC. Edward went on to Chief Constable of Manchester and in 1857 the Country's third HMIC. 

Prescot was self contained with accommodation for a police officer and his family. There was also a single men's accommodation. 

Like all nicks of the period one of the cells "doubled" as a mortuary and also used to perform post-mortems. A small gutter in the 

floor identifies the particular cell. 

To finish off the premises the upper floor was used as a Police or Magistrates Court. 

The exact date the premises were built is unknown. However it is one of the earliest as the premises are devoid of a Lancashire 

plaque that came synonymous with the Force. The words "Police Station" were above the front door. A few years ago the words 

had worn to a dangerous level and they were removed. 

At one stage a Mounted detachment was based there until the 1960's. The rear yard has all the he paraphernalia one would find 

in the up market stables. There was a pinfold for the horses. That was later used as a storage for vehicles towed off the motorway. 

There are the old stables and a mounting block. 

Like most old County Nicks it is reputedly haunted. But in this there are reliable witnesses to the unexplained events. Though 

many a young Bobby posted to Prescot from a Huyton for the night to be a Station Keeper/Reserve would  be regaled with blood 

chilling tales. Later in the watch as he walked from the kitchen to the front office someone would hide on the old stairway to the 

Dock and then frighten the living daylights out of him as he passed by. CRUEL !!!!!  

This particular part of the nick is so dark. That the old keys to the cells had marks cut into the metal to identify each particular key. 

In the late 1970s and early 1980's Prescot became the home of MerPol No. 4 Group Traffic (4GT). The old court was the Traffic 

Office and the stables came a garage for police motorbikes. 

Over the years many decisions were made regarding building a new station to replace the old much loved building. Though in the 

1970s the station and building next to it formerly the ACC house are listed as he finest examples of Victorian buildings. Though 

not having the same status as a listed building any attempt to alter the exterior of the building would let to protest. 

So Prescot lies empty with only its nocturnal inhabitants.

Shaun Rothwell. 3/3/17

Can we help?

This enquiry was received via the website. If you can help please respond via the contact website administrator button. 

I am sorry the photograph is not very clear. I am not convinced that this gentleman is wearing a police uniform, unless of course someone else thinks differently. 


I am wondering if you could help me, directly or indirectly, my grandfather was Thomas Henry Hayward born 2nd may 1877 in Clock Face, married 1903, died about 1955 and lived at 33 Westfield Street, St.Helens. I have a picture of him in a policeman's uniform, with a collar and tie, I don't know if that is significant, there are no numbers or badges, but a medal ribbon, I also remember seeing a photo of him wearing an Inspectors uniform, and that is all I know. Could you help me find out a bit more about his service with the police force, as he lived in St Helens I assume he would be a member of the St Helens force. If you can't help, then maybe you can direct me to some dept that could .

Many thanks,
Mike Hayward

St Helens CID 

Member Ron Dixon has provided the website with this photograph taken circa 1960.

most of the names are there however there are a few missing. Can you Help?

Follow that!

(an every day story of a Borough Bobby) 

Back  in the day there were a lot of characters patrolling  our streets, here  is the story of one of them. 

Early in the 1950's in St. Helens that particular area, the small plantation at the junction of Jackson Street

and Gaskell Street was a small but quite deep pit which had filled up with water and over the years the surface

had become heavily contaminated with road dust etc, most certainly giving the appearance of the ground 

being solid to the unknowing.  At this time we had obtained a new recruit from Wigan, (smile) who I shall

refer to as P.C. 'H' -and-coal stealing from railway sidings was prevalent.

I will now relate the story as told by 'Lord Ted', (the very popular Inspector Ted Owen) who had decided to 

put P.C. 'H' (whose numbers added up to 4) on beats nos 16/17, (a cycle beat when combined) and possibly for 

the first time in daylight for him, one hot sunny afternoon.    'H', when cycling up Jackson street saw a man leave

the railway cutting carrying a heavy sack some distance ahead of him and presumed that he was a coal thief.

Upon reaching the top of Jackson Street P.C.'H' decided to take the obvious short cut to cut off the coal thief 

and rode across the 'forbidden land' only to be thrown off his Police bike in quite deep, filthy water and was 

forced to return to the Police station (at the Town Hall) in that sodden state.  He explained to Lord Ted what had

happened and was sent home in a patrol car to change uniforms.

The news was immediately spread that whilst the bible was content with recording that Jesus walked on water 

this Wiganer had tried to go one better by cycling on water.   P.C. 'H' certainly became a most popular personality 

in the Borough and went on to happily stay with us at St. Helens until he retired.             

Yes, St.Helens Boro' has certainly had it's characters in the past.

Eric Guest.

Happy Days! 

Relative to the recent death of Bill Livesey, just a little story concerned with the 'history' of the St. Helens Boro' Police before it is lost to time and for possible inclusion on  the St. Helens NARPO Website???. 

In the 1950's and early 1960's the St. Helens Borough Police Force operated a small but magnificent fleet of  black coloured Wolseley patrol cars of grand design having leather upholstery and walnut veneer fascias which were so brilliantly maintained, being the envy of other local Forces.
At this time Bill Livesey (P.C. 91) and Ken Dixon, (P.C. 64) were 'partners' in the Traffic Department, both being choristers and when on duty on Sunday evenings/nights they would sing hymns in their patrol car when travelling the streets of St. Helens.  On occasions they would 'pick-up' a lonely beat constable to give him a break, and he too would then be expected to sing their hymns with them.  It was known that their Sergeant, (Sergeant 139) 'Chummy' Gladwin would also join their congregation and of course sing hymns with them.  
O happy days!.    

Eric Guest.

Can you name this guy? 

Sorry the picture won't enlarge any more, but can you identify this  officer? 

I have received an email from Norman Gildart who identifies this officer as his CID partner Ian Wilson. 

Ian died some years ago, his name has been added to the In memoriam page. 


Smart and proud! 

Chris Alexander provided this photograph, one of many he inherited from his police officer dad.. I don't have any details as yet, do any of you?

Dad and Daughter 

A serving dad with his daughter 

This photograph of (the late) PC. 44 Alex Taylor and his daughter PW. 6 Dickson Taylor 

was taken just prior to Alex`s retirement in March 1959.

Are there any of you out there who have similar photographs  with your parents and or 


It would be great to share them!  
Did anyone attend this event? let us know your memories

A guy who may be known to a few of you! 

 1961 Bruche teaser  

This photograph has been sent in by Harry Buckley. He has identified some of the Lancashire County officers. 

Can you recognise any of the others?

Where is this? 

This monument, unveiled in 1913,  commemorates a sad event which took place in 1830.  What do you know about it? 

Members Jack and Margaret Bradshaw furnished me with the following information, just click the button to read about this monument.

Haydock Duty Detail 
1912/13(?)  Coal Strike

On duty in St Helens Town Centre 

Admiring the shop window display in the Gas Showrooms! 

What do you know about the officer in the photograph ? 

Who are they? 

This photograph was taken about 1963. Who are the individuals on the photograph? 

Click the link below with your answers! 


The Murder of Gladys May Appleton March 1944

Following a recent enquiry I have done some research re the murder of Gladys May Appleton.

This extract is taken from the Encyclopaedia of Executions written by John J Eddleston (published by John Blake 2002)  

27 year old Gladys May Appleton and her boyfriend George Leslie Barker were happy together and their future looked bright. All that was to be taken away by one man.

Gladys and George last saw each other on the night of March 9th 1944. she spent part of the evening at his home at 11 Knowsley Road, leaving there at 10.45pm to walk home to 101 Bishop Road where Gladys lived with her father. The following morning her raped and straggled body  was found by Betsy Barnes, a postwoman delivering mail to the Elms on Cowley Hill Lane.

Inquiries revealed that a young Scots Soldier had been seen in the area the previous night. Jeannie Galvin had arrived at her home at 10 Gamble Avenue at around 10.45pm. she had been accosted by the soldier who at first was just friendly, but as she reached home, he said he was determined to kiss her goodnight  and she became afraid. She had the presence of mind not to panic and told him to leave her alone. 

When the gardens around Jeannie's house were examined, two sets of footprints were found. One of these was Jeannie's but the other was not. Casts were made and moves were taken to trace the soldier.

The nearest army camp was at Rainford and it transpired that two soldiers had been absent without leave on the night in question. these two John Hunters Sanderson and John George Davidson were interviewed.  

Sanderson admitted that he and Davidson had left the camp around 6.30pm and had visited a pub called the Bottle and Glass. After a few drinks they moved on to St Helens  arriving there after 8pm. By 8.20pm, there were in the Rifle Corps Hotel where they got talking to two other soldiers Lance Corporal Green and Private Henry. They stayed together until 10pm and when two girls appeared he and Davidson went off with them. 

both men had their eye on the same girl but it appeared to be Sanderson who was having the most success. Eventually Davidson took the hint and left his friend with the girl. Sanderson finished his statement by saying that he had not seen Davidson again until 6.30am the next morning.

When Davidson's shoes were compared with the casts taken from Gamble Avenue, they were found to match. Davidson also fitted the description given by Jeannie Galvin and it became clear that he was the Scot seen in the area. At first he denied all knowledge but later admitted that he had killed Gladys. 

At his trail Davidson tried to put forward a plea of insanity but there was no evidence of mental instability in his background. At his appeal, he claimed he was so drunk at the time of the attack that he did not know what he was doing.  The court reused to interfere with the original verdict. 

This was the first time that a conviction had been secured using shoe print evidence.

Davidson was hanged on Wednesday 12th July 1944 at Liverpool Prison, he was 19 years old. 

Do you recognise anyone from these photographs ?

These photographs have been sent to me by Tom Jones Jnr.

Tom Jones Snr joined St Helens Borough Force in 1951, he retired as a sergeant 25 years later, still serving in St Helens but then part of Merseyside Police. Tom Jnr was himself a police  officer, initially joining Lancashire Police, then Merseyside Police following reorganisation in 1974.  Tom Jnr transfered to Lothian and Boarders Police in 1976, where he served unit retiring in 1993. 

Tom Snr died in March 2014 aged 84 years.

This PC Tom Jones , at Rainhill hospital, for the visit of the Duke of Kent

St Helens Police Football Team

Most of the people on this photograph have now been identified. Can anyone add the date or identify the unnamed people ? 

top row left to right

Bob Fisher (he was a wonderful cricketer)

Bob Grant (later ACC) 

Bill Shepherd

Davie Symes ( he was Scottish as was Tom )

Alan Fergie

Ted Pickerill

Harry Davies (described as 'the legendary Flash') 

the two older men are as yet unnamed

bottom row left to right 

PC 16 Butler (?) (didn't serve for very long)

wearing the hat is is Norman Skeath (another good cricketer)

This photograph was taken at a time when the borough had a total of five officers with the name of Jones! 

Pc Tom Jones and his family

At Bruche PTC 1951

PC 100 Ray Kirwin was at Bruche with Tom Jones, 

PC 105 Tom Jones at Bruche 1951 

Looking like very likely lads! Alan Banks, Tom Jones and Horace Martindale during their initial course at Bruche.  

Can anyone identify any of these officers? 

A number of years later as a Merseyside Officer, Sgt Tom Jones receivied  his long service medal from Chief Constable Parr. 

Toms discharge papers are shown on the right. 

Inspector David Kidd

I recently received an email from Alison Warburton with information about her Grandfather David French Kidd. He served with St Helens Borough Police between 1927 and 1952. During his time with the force he was an instructor for the tug of war team. There is a photograph of the team in the police sports section of the photo albums. 

Alison has promised me more information about her grandfather.   

Are there any members who remember David?, If so contact the website administrator.  

David Kidd in action at Knowsley Road (date unknown) 

Green Goddess in St Helens 

A retired Police Officer in Glasgow  has bought a Green Goddess Fire Engine, one of the many  that were used in the Fire Brigades strike in 1977/1978.
His machine  RXP 559  it turns out was based in St Helens.  He has come across some photographs and wonders whether anyone can identify themselves or recognise any of the Police officers shown.  There may be more to come, these might just be a taster.  
If anyone has any stories or indeed other photographs, please let me know and I can pass them on. 

John Russell. 

Clock Face Road 13/12/1977

Chimney fire Charles Street, St Helens 14/11/1977

St Helens Borough Cricket Team 1959

This photograph was taken in August 1959, at the Devon Police H.Q and it brings back memories of some of the stalwarts of the old St. Helens Boro' and of old friends in surrounding Forces, alas, many are but memories now. 

Back row; Left to right, Harold Prescott (Det Ch Supt Lancs HQ); Bob Bateson (Lancs Co. Seaforth); Freddie Pearson, (Lancs Haydock); John Frodsham, (St. H's Boro',) Alan Thompson, Preston Boro'; Peter Hartley,(Blackpool Boro); Alan Davies, (St.H's), Norman Kerfoot, (St.H's), Brian Foy, (St.H's), Jack Fairhurst,(St. H's) and the legendary 'Flash Harry' Davies, then Ch. Insp. (StH's).

Front Row; Ted Dowson,(Det Ch Insp St.H's), David Pilkington (St.H's), John Morris, (Lancs, Preston) Eric Guest, (St.H's), Gerry Houlton, (St.H's), and Jack Abbott,(Det Insp. Lancs, Widnes).

Off photograph, Bill Lord, (St.H's) injured, and Ron Gregory,(Det Ch Insp. Preston Boro) who took the photograph and went on to become West Yorks. C.C. at the time of the Yorkshire 'Ripper'.

Played; Four matches against, Devon Const.; Exeter City, Bristol City and Bath City.    Results; Won 3, drawn one (the last one, when we were all on our 'uppers' following this 'most hectic' tour).

On the old Bedford coach, hired from the St. Helens famous Tommy Glover and which normally carried colliers to and from work, the 'bosses' tended to be at the front, but  the 'backbenchers' quickly compiled secret ground rules resulting in fines of one pint for those transgressing.  These rules were 'carried' by the majority of backbenchers, amongst the crates of 'refreshments', at the rear but withheld from the 'bosses' at the time.  One of the rules being that the last aboard the coach after each 'stop' paid a pint, -or two if he should argue the toss.

Following a lengthy pit stop at 'The Lamb' in Somerset (where we all really gelled) at a signal, the backbenchers quickly returned to the coach to await the first boss to pay a fine. Well, it just had to be our own effervescent 'Flash Harry', who unfortunately had assisted others in a worse state than he up the steps and into the coach.  He pleaded 'not guilty' but was told that ignorance of our law was no excuse and in view of his plea he was found guilty and fined two pints, but he took it wonderfully well, as was expected, but then demanded thereafter to become the 'official fine collector' himself and collect from any 'ducks' or dropped catches etc..

Another little memory emerges, that concerned with our overnight stay at guest houses in Bath.  Following the match we were 'reet royally' entertained at their Police club, some until the 'wee small hours' and one of our members whose name and number shall remain forever confidential found himself locked out of his particular guest house and only entered with the morning milk.  Thereupon he flung himself into an empty bed only to be flung out again when the tenant returned from a frequent visit to the toilet.

Oh happy days!    Our thanks go to Brian Foy for the ancient photograph and for these half forgotten memories rekindled. 

The article and photograph was sent in by one of our members  'PC999'

A British Bobby in Hong Kong 

I have been asked frequently in the past how I found C.I.D. type Policing in Hong Kong after St. Helens, so, hoping that this will be of some interest to all; here goes.

For six years, on secondment from Merseyside Police, I served with the Independent Commission Against Corruption (the ICAC) in Hong Kong, in fact from 1977 to 1983.  The ICAC were not the Police.  As we, on occasions investigated the Royal Hong Kong Police little love was lost between us and we were not welcomed into their bars, sports teams,canteens or any of their social activities. Members of the ICAC who played cricket then played for the Royal Navy Team and used their 'Petty Officers Mess' frequently.

Most of the work was similar to that performed by Fraud Squads in the U.K. and as such, lasted for months on end and could not be related here briefly, but certainly the worst case of corruption that I was ever involved with merely concerned payments of very few H.K. Dollars. This was in a government maternity hospital and was ..”You pay 'tea money', (bribes) or you will never know if the child you take home with you is really yours!”.   Now as all Chinese children appear identical at birth this was indeed a dire threat.  As a 'need to know policy' was strictly adhered to I never did learn the outcome of that particular enquiry and if there was enough evidence available to prosecute.  Then, bribery was almost a way of life in Hong Kong and many expected to pay for 'privilege' or 'advantage'.

One case which I handled from beginning to end with great assistance from Chinese colleagues, interpreters etc., concerned a number of off duty Chinese policemen attending at night clubs and demanding, with threats, that 'tea money'  be immediately handed over.  As they were initially successful this group continued to visit H.K. night clubs until the Police eventually received the complaint of a fight at one club and as the circumstances immediately pointed towards 'corruption' the whole case was handed over to the ICAC for investigation.

I arrested seven Chinese policemen and also a Chinese Prison Officer who had posed as a senior police officer and soon identified him as one of the 'boss men' or ringleaders of the group when building up the evidence against them.  Other night clubs were visited to this end, but there was great reluctance for the Chinese staff to give any evidence as they were frightened to cross the Hong Kong Police and the 'bouncers on the doors' were little more than poorly paid tough looking 'strong arm men' who inspired but little confidence as witnesses and were inclined to vanish overnight.  I was thus confined to just a handful of corruption charges and eight prisoners.

There was much wailing and great arguments amongst the younger policemen and their families which eventually led to the prison officer and his immediate police friend, who were the real instigators, throwing in their hands and pleading 'guilty'.  In the following trial of the remaining six, before one stipendiary magistrate, (juries were not used, for obvious reasons in corruption trials) I experienced a number of Chinese witnesses almost refusing point blank to give any evidence and some, in obvious 'fright'  were such poor witnesses in court that the remainder were found 'not guilty' and discharged. 

All six had been represented and stated that they had been led into the night clubs and were unaware that bribes were being demanded, which was most difficult to accept, but then the witnesses offered very little confidence to the court.  I accepted this reasoning much rather than that of one mother who sacrificed a pig on behalf of her  policeman son and who was initially elated and thanked me.

The two ringleaders were given substantial prison sentences whilst the remaining six were dismissed from the Royal Hong Kong Police, upon the police having studied the full prosecution file of 'evidence' against them.

On another occasion we arrested a Chinese fisherman (and his junk) who was in possession of hundreds of large Chinese silver coins.  He had been suspected of 'ferrying in'  illegal immigrants from the Chinese mainland into Hong Kong for payment, but he succeeded in persuading us (by receipts) that he was in fact only an amateur 'smuggler'.

At this time China was rapidly becoming far more liberated and this particular fisherman found it far more profitable to buy electrical goods in Hong Kong, ie electric washing machines, sewing machines, fridges, T.V. Sets, and radio equipment and then to sell these on mainland China to the peasants who were known to then go into the hills to unearth their long hidden treasures (from the communists) to pay for the items...granting credence to the saying that- “There's gold in them tha' hills”.

Once it had been determined that no bribery or corruption was involved the fisherman was instructed to attend at our office and collect his coins.  Through an interpreter I had a discussion with him and he told me that all these historic Chinese coins would then be thrown into a large wok and melted down purely for their silver content.  I asked how much he would obtain for the coins and he told me that he would charge the sum of 40 HK$ for each coin, which roughly amounted to little more than £4 per coin.

As my youngest son Peter collected coins -and still does occasionally from his dad, (preferably English currency now), I bought ten of the coins from the fisherman; he selecting the oldest ones for me.  I still retain these coins as a little Chinese history preserved for the future despite the Chinese being not so interested themselves.  

Eric Guest.

(These and many other short Police stories are to be found in Eric Guest's autobiography, 'A St. Helens Lad 2', yet to be published.)

Can you help reunite this photograph with the officers family?

 The above photographs have beesent in by Les Waters.

This is a scan of the carte de visite I acquired of a very handsome PC 369 from your area – the photographer, Wilson, is from Liverpool and Formby. 


If the collar number should point to a single individual I’d be interested to learn who he is as I might then be able to re-unite this photo with his descendents. 



Faces from the past! 

These photographs have been sent by Kevin Moores. Is his identification of the officers on the cricket photograph correct? 
let us know if you have any other ideas please! 

"I've attached some images, the first one is some of St Helens CID I think I've remembered some of them correctly you 

may know yourself or know other people who do. 

  1. From left to right I remember 1) Alan Abbott, 2) Roy Horton or Houghton ? I can't remember number 3,  4th is i think Ian Clare,  5th is sgt Shuttleworth, 6th is Supt Frank Ward, 7th is I think sgt Ian Ross,8th in cricket pads is Ray Railton,  9th is det con Tony Marsh, 10th is Larry Ledwith I think, I don't know the next one at 1112th from the left is my Dad is Bob Moores (DCI) and I am afraid I cannot remember the last gentleman on the far right. My identification of these fine gentlemen is purely from memory from approximately 1973/4, some 42 years ago so I may not be quite accurate.

I think the main image of interest will be the St Helens CID cricket photo, if you just want to use this I won't be offended or all of them, I don't mind but you have permission to use any of them. 

Kevin Moores. "

I received this email from branch member Eric Guest who has identified all the members of the cricket team! Thanks Eric

Dear Webmaster. 27.2.2015. 

Concerning the photograph of the St. Helens CID Cricket Team on our web, there are a number of mistakes in their names. The correct details should read... 1 Alan Abbott 2 Roy Horton 3 Ian McDonald-Walker 4 Alan Clare 5 Bill Webster 6 Frank Ward 7 John Ross 8 Brian Railton 9 Tony Marsh 10 Larry Ledwith 11 Brian Williams 12 Bob Moores 13 Taffy Jones Thank you ..Eric Guest.

St Helens CID cricket team.


Can you identify the people in these other photographs 

supplied by Kevin Moores ?


contact the web administrator if you can

Police officers being awarded Long Service medals.

The officers have been identified by Harry Buckley and Eric Guest 

left to right :- PC3 Keith Alexander (St Helens Borough and Lancs County) 

Jimmy Mackendrick (Lancs CID, he was unfortunaltly killed in a traffic accident )  

Lancashire Chief Constable Bill Palfrey,

Bob Moores (one time DCI at  St Helens)  

Freddie Graveston (Lancashire County CID, later served on retirement with ICAC Hong Kong) 


Detective Training Class

Supt Stazicker, DCI Bob Moores, Insp Mitchell, Frank Ward and side on Bill Dawber.


Many thanks to Harry Buckley for supplying the information.


who are they?

This photograph was recently posted on Face Book by Bill Stacey. 

St Helens Division winner of the

 Merseyside Rugby Sevens Competition 1979

 Ch Supt Tom Philips is shown 

presenting the trophy to Sgt Bill Stacey.

Who are the other 'L' Division officers on the photograph? 


Branch member Paul Foster Identified some of the officers

Tom Phillips is presenting the rugby trophy to Bill Stacey. In the centre I believe is Billy Harrison from Rainford. The detective is Eddie Mannion and the gentleman on the end next to Eddie is Constable Firth he retired and went driving buses for St Helens Corporation.

anyone else know who the others are? 

All the officers identified!

left to right , Dave Taylor, Steve Reynolds, Gary Davies, Tom Philips, Bill Harrison, Bill Stacey, Eddie Mannion and Kevin Firth.

Thanks to Pat Foster, Bill Stacey and Frank Firth 


Help required! 

Our Branch secretary has received a couple of  family history enquiries.

Can you help at all ? 

Someone has requested any information about a Samuel John HODGETTS. On his marriage certificate in 1913 in St Helens was shown as a Police Constable.

Another enquiry about a Thomas LANGFORD  b. 1900 joined Liverpool City after 

WW1. He later became a Superintendent at Allerton police station. He died at the age of 49 years.

No other information is know about either man. If you can help please contact the website administrator 


Radio Rooms of yore! 

These photographs have been unearthed by John Russell , the right hand side one is 

circa 1974. do any of you have any other radio room photographs and or stories from 

control rooms? 


Do you know this officer?

Here is a photograph (sorry about the quality) of James Chrysotom MURPHY  

Liverpool City Police No   F109.  James was born 19th Dec 1890 at 21 Rolling Mill Lane St Helens, the son of James and Mary Murphy.
He marrried Alice Robinson  15th May 1917 at St Clare`s Roman Catholic Church, Sefton Park Liverpool.  They had a child Rose born 1925, at her Robinson Grandparents home  79 Vandyke St, Liverpool.  
James , Alice and Rose  lived in Tiber St, Liverpool  until about 1935 when they moved to 9 Denstone Crescent, HUYTON  The enquirer remembers seeing him at that address in Police uniform.
James died at Whiston Hospital 12th December 1943.
He had also served in the Coldstream Guards during  the 1st World War.
The enquirer Claire who lives in Hungerford was hoping somewhere there may be a 
bit more information.  Nothing with HQ Merseyside.

Any information to the Website administrator please.  
John R

the following information  has come from Shaun Rothwell.

It is an LCP (Liverpool City Police) officer. It is a Greatcoat. ( I think it is the mandarin collar that is throwing everyone). Here is a little known fact Greatcoat Order was from October to April each year. Some time during those months the greatcoats were buttoned left over right and then changed to right over left, as women's clothes are normally buttoned, this was to ensure EVEN WEAR of the greatcoat. 
It is pre 1919 (CROWNLESS HP -1919 - crowned HP & Ball top helmets introduced following the strike ). This is a NIGHT DUTY helmet ( Nb black protector) with a day Helmet plate. Duty Armlet is correct.
I haven't  got a clue what is to the left of the buckle. There is a whistle chain - could be something to do with fire brigade maybe a key for hydrants. Though he has an F Division number he could be an extra.... There is A photo showing 2 Police Fire Officers (turncocks) with equipment re hoses in their belts to the left of the buckle. 
Surprisingly not a Carbonara photo ; they were the Official photographer for LCP . 

How did the Irish come to Whiston ..... Black 47 (1847) was a pivotal date in the Irish diaspora. The main ports were Glasgow Swansea and Liverpool. At the time Liverpool was beset by contagion (flu, measles and and typhus). One of the main areas was Lace Street off Great Crosshall Street. The then heart of the Irish community in the town. The authorities laid blame on the Irish and used every opportunity to dissuade the Irish immigrants from settling in the town. At the same time they also attempted to remove some of the ESTABLISHED Irish community from the town. Whiston was one of the largest authorities outside Liverpool's boundary and many Irish people decided to move there. In some cases to move even further like St. Helens, Wigan or as in the case of my County Mayo ancestors Bolton.
County Mayo was the heart of the famine. The matter was further complicated by the fact that the Mayo ONLY spoke Gaelic. 
The contagion did subside after the appointment of Doctor Duncan , as Liverpool and the Worlds first public medical officer of Health. Doctor Duncan told them how there dirty living conditions caused many of the problems. The accommodation was extremely poor but by the simple task of CLEANING it helped to reduce and eventually eradicate the problem. 

The Siege of Sidney Street January 1911 following the Murder of 3 City of London Police Officers. Nb. The Officers Greatcoats buttoned right over left and note the same style of greatcoat as the photograph above ..........

does anyone see have any more information? 

Can you help? 

Our branch secretary received the following enquiry. It may be a bit of a long shot but you never know. If you have any information that may assist Gary please contact myself via the website administrator button above or Branch secretary John Russell.

I am researching a family member who may have worked for St Helens Borough Constablary.


My (great, great, great) uncle, David BARWELL is shown as having worked for St Helens Police and is listed on the (1st World War) Towns Police Memorial.


I have recently returned from the Menin Gate where we remembered David on the 100th anniversary of his death. While there I established that it is feasible the he was a (retired/time served) regular soldier who may have been re-mobilised upon the outbreak of war, and was indeed a Police Constable.


Is there any archive/historical data held within the force area that I can add to our picture and understaning of our relative?




Gary Barwell. 


Gary has sent a further email with more of the background concerning David Barwell which may be of interest 

 Hi John.

Many thanks for your reply and for informing me of the steps you hope to take, I very much hope for a positive result. 
The details known for David Barwell are:-
B 1888. D 30/10/1914.
Private soldier, 3rd Dragoon Gurads, the Prince of Wales Own. Entered France 16/08/1914. Killed in action.
Married to Charlotte Emily (nee Brately) 03/11/1913.
I'd like to give you a little background into how I have got to where I am now:-
David was my grandfathers uncle. My grandfather died in 1934 in army service in India and with him, for many years, this part of the family history. Until Christmas last year, when my father (now aged 82) produced his fathers army pay book I (we) had no idea of any wider family or their history. A little research identified and confirmed that David was our (great great great) uncle and that he died on 30th October 1914 during the 1st battle of Ypres.
Last week, on the 100th anniversary of his death, my father, brother and I travelled to Ypres to visit the Menin Gate where David is remembered as a fallen soldier of the Great War who has no known grave.
My research had also identified David Barwell to be remembered on the St Helens police memorial. Until my visit to Ypres I was sceptical that the 2 David Barwells were linked as my uncle was a professional soldier (an old contemptible) who hailed (born and bred) in the Leicester area who was 25 years old when he was killed. It was therefore  difficult to imagine how he was also a constable in St Helens. His service number (1715) was also very short  and low and I believed there may have been cross contamination of records with a police collar number. However, while in Ypres I met a relative of a soldier from the same regiment who was killed on the same day and gathered a little more history. My new friends relative was older (32) but also had a low short service number. He was able to tell me that little is known about the fighting on the day in question but that his relative and it is likely that my relative, had served their time and had left the army for pastures new only to be re- mobilised at the threat or outbreak of war. Upon re-mobilisation old soldiers kept their original service numbers.
I am now content that there is, in this case, only 1 David Barwell. I do hope that there is something held in the police archive that adds further to that which I have been able to glean and I was hoping that a photo would be one of the rare records held as we sadly have none. I am also hoping to be able to trace Davids family through to modern times in the hope that they will have access to the family history I am seeking.
With very best regards and thanks.
Gary Barwell.

Old photograph

Can anyone help with this photograph? 

It was found at the back of an old drawer

 at a house in St Helens. It's clearly a Liverpool City Police officer, PC 175 either C 

or G. I have been advised it was taken circa 1890-1895. The photograph wasn't 

taken by the official force photographer.

If you have any information please contact the website administrator 

Brenda Neary 

Many thanks to both Mary Ellison and John Russell for identifying all the people on the photo between them. Some of the officers are alas no longer with us.

front row left to right

Gordon Roberts, Dennis Glynn, Ronnie Ball, Ronnie Hunt, Derek Frodsham, John McCormick, Ralph Lancaster, Ted Hale, Freddie Leyland, Graham Cunliffe

back row

Bill Shepherd, John Hind, Brian Ward, John Duffy Brian Foy, Phil Jones, Alan Roberts, Terry Price.


Ronnie Hunt's retirement do!

JR has been sorting through some old

photographs and came up with this one.

Can you name any of the people present?

Have you any idea of the year? 

No prizes for guessing, please email any 

identifications by clicking the link below